In September 2021, during the clearing of the basement of the Skete of St. John the Baptist in the village of Ankhua, an architectural detail was found in the basement of the skete kitchen (dimensions: 28×19 cm).
Comparing this find with fragments of the altar barrier from the village of Ankhua, exhibited in the Abkhazian State Museum, it was concluded that this artifact was indeed a fragment of the altar barrier from the village of Ankhua.
The width of the fragment found exactly coincides with the width of the two columns of the altar barrier from the village of Ankhua (19 cm.)
On one of the lateral sides of the discovered fragment of a twisted half-column, a technical gutter (dimensions: 11×2 cm) is visible, which apparently served to fasten this half-column with other details of the altar barrier.
Thus, the new fragment will be designated as “Fragment of a limestone column of an altar barrier with a twisted half-column from the village of Ankhua No. 3 “.
The discovered fragment was used as a building material for the foundation of a large kitchen stove in the Skete of St. John the Baptist in the village of Ankhua. The one-storey room of the skete kitchen with a basement adjoins the building of the above skete from the west side. The stove was dismantled during the Soviet era, when the monastery kitchen was used as a grocery store.
Construction of a large building of the Skete of St. John the Baptist in the village of Ankhua was carried out in 1903-1908 by monks of the New Athos monastery.
This find also indicates that building blocks and various valuable architectural details from the ruins of medieval churches, as well as other historical monuments from the village of Ankhua, unfortunately, were used by the monks of the New Athos Monastery in the late XIX and early XX centuries for the construction of new monastic buildings, including the skete of St. John the Baptist in the village of Ankhua.
It is kept in the Church-Archaeological Museum of the Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia.