The Church and Archaeological Museum of the Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia.
The foundation of the newly created Church-Archaeological Museum of HMA was founded by Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar) at the New Athos Spiritual School in 2002. Since 2002 the Foundation has got an extensive collection of pre-revolutionary icons, books, lithographs, photographs and church utensils. In addition there are various architectural artifacts of the ancient Abkhazian temples in the Fund. The collection also contains paintings and graphic works of modern Abkhazian artists on religious topics.
Most exhibits of the Foundation have been discovered or acquired in Abkhazia from 2002 to the present day. The head of the Foundation is the Doctor of Theology, Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar).
The Church and Archaeological Museum of HMA will be placed in the eastern three –storey wing of the Monastery of Simon the Canaanite in New Athos. This building was used as an exhibition hall in the Soviet period.
The online exposition of the Foundation of the Church-Archaeological Museum of HMA is available in the official website of HMA (www.anyha.org.category/museum). Dear visitors of the website anyha.org! The administration of the Foundation of the Church-Archaeological Museum of HMA appeals to all residents of Abkhazia with a request for information or transfer of thematic materials and artifacts on the ancient and modern history of Christianity in Abkhazia to the Museum Fund.
Our address: The Republic of Abkhazia, Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia, Monastery of St. Apostle Simon the Canaanite in New Athos.
Contacts: Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar)
1.Напрестольное…read more... ...
Paintings and iconographic sketches of Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar), 1992-1993
The Journey of the Novgorod Archbishop Anthony to Constantinople in the end of XII century
With a preface and notes by Pavel Savvaitov.
Published by Archaeographic Commission. St. Petersburg, 1872 – 188p.
Olonetsky A. A. The Orthodox Church as a tool of the colonial policy of tsarism in Abkhazia.
The brochure was donated to the Church-Archaeological Museum of HMA by S.Z. Lakoba from his personal archive on April 16, 2018.
1. Photos of clergy, officials, parishioners and students of the parish school. Gudauta, around 1911 – 1913, 17×12 cm. In the middle on the right, Bishop Andrey of Sukhum (Prince Ukhtomsky), wearing a cowl, a koukoulion and panagia, he…read more... ...
1. View of the resort from the sea;
2. View of the resort from the lake in the park (you can see the building with a tiled roof, where currently a recreation center is located);
3. View from the Iverian (Anakopian)…
Pre-revolutionary photo of Ishmael (Podolsky), the monk of the monastery of Saint Apostle Simon the Canaanite in New Athos.
According to his relatives, the monk Ishmael (Podolsky) was killed in the Civil War (1917-1922).
A copy of the photo was donated…
1. Icon of the Theotokos of Tolga in a frame and kiot. 38.5 × 42.5 cm. Presumably 19 century.
2. “The Agony of Christ in the Garden” icon. 25×41 cm. Presumably 19 century.
1. Icon of St. Great Martyr George and St. Alexius in a frame. 27×31.5 cm. Presumably 19 century. It was donated by Gennady Georgievich Chedia on 17 July, 2012.
2. Icon of St. Great martyr and…
1. Icon with the image of Edessa and four images of the Virgin with the baby Christ (Kazan, Petrovsky, Korsunskaya and Igorevskaya). 38х46 cm. It was donated by Rauf Alekseevich Azhiba on 27 September, 2012.