The Church and Archaeological Museum of the Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia.
The foundation of the newly created Church-Archaeological Museum of HMA was founded by Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar) at the New Athos Spiritual School in 2002. Since 2002 the Foundation has got an extensive collection of pre-revolutionary icons, books, lithographs, photographs and church utensils. In addition there are various architectural artifacts of the ancient Abkhazian temples in the Fund. The collection also contains paintings and graphic works of modern Abkhazian artists on religious topics.
Most exhibits of the Foundation have been discovered or acquired in Abkhazia from 2002 to the present day. The head of the Foundation is the Doctor of Theology, Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar).
The Church and Archaeological Museum of HMA will be placed in the eastern three –storey wing of the Monastery of Simon the Canaanite in New Athos. This building was used as an exhibition hall in the Soviet period.
The online exposition of the Foundation of the Church-Archaeological Museum of HMA is available in the official website of HMA (www.anyha.org.category/museum). Dear visitors of the website anyha.org! The administration of the Foundation of the Church-Archaeological Museum of HMA appeals to all residents of Abkhazia with a request for information or transfer of thematic materials and artifacts on the ancient and modern history of Christianity in Abkhazia to the Museum Fund.
Our address: The Republic of Abkhazia, Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia, Monastery of St. Apostle Simon the Canaanite in New Athos.
Contacts: Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar)
Istorichesky Vestnik. Historical and literary magazine. V. 84. June 1901 – p. 839-1238.
The book was presented as a gift to the foundation of the Church-Archaeological Office of the Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia in April 2021.
Logo of the charitable foundation for the construction of a church in the name of St. Apostles Andrew and Simon the Canaanite (1999-2000)
Form of the Orthodox Brotherhood of St.Simon the Canaanite (1991-1998)
Koman church and place of the Third Finding of the Head of St. John the Baptist. Early 1990s.
Water blessing service in the high mountain village of Pskhu. Early 1990s.
Construction of a wooden church in the high mountain village of Pskhu. Early 2000s the church burned down in a fire shortly after the completion of construction.read more......
Pilgrims from Russia in the Koman monastery. February 2003.
A group of pilgrims from Sochi visiting the monastery of St. John Chrysostom in Koman.
Hegumen Ephrem (Vinogradov).
1. Pilgrims from Russia visiting the Pitsunda Patriarchal Cathedral. In the center: novice Nazariy Kiut and archaeologist Ruslan Bartsits.
2. Pilgrims from Russia visiting the Mokva church. In the middle of the…read more......
In the photo standing from left to right: Yuri Senkevich, Priest Vissarion Apliaa, Said Tarkil and Vladislav Ardzinba. The photo was taken during the filming of the story “Orthodox Abkhazia” as part of the program “Vokrug Sveta” (Around the…read more......
Priest Vissarion Apliaa and Hegumen Peter (Pigol) on the burial place of the victims of the Lata tragedy. Gudauta, summer 1993.
Photos by Yu. A. Aksenov.
From the Church-Archaeological office of archimandrite…
1. Priest Vissarion Apliaa wearing the altar cross in the epitrachelion.
2. Priest Vissarion Apliaa at the Holy Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius.
1, 2. Courtyard of the New Athos Monastery – at that time was a military hospital. Distribution of food products to residents of the northern building (at that time it was a former communal apartments’ housing) of the New…read more......