Churches

Ruins of the lower church in Anakopya fortress

Located on the slope of the Anakopya Mountain between the walls of the citadel and the 2nd defensive wall of the Anakopya Fortress, it was investigated by famous Abkhazian archaeologist Mikhail Trapsh in 1957-1958.

This is a small church with…

read more......


The ruins of two medieval churches in the village of Bzhylua, Ankhua, Gudauta district


Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar). Temple on Mount Aquy (Ақәи-ныха) in the village of Ankhua

THE TEMPLE ON THE MOUNTAIN OF AQUY (АҚӘИ-НЫХА) IN ANKHUA VILLAGE

 Location

Mount Aquy (abh. Ақәи/Ақәҩы, later named Mount Athos) and the village with the same name Aquy are located above…

read more......


Aquy-nykha


On 24 September, 2018, an expedition consisting of Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar), Ruslan Pandaria, Alkhas Argun and Mark Trapsh visited the top of Mount Aquy (Mount Athos), located at an altitude of…

read more......


The Church of St. George (Ayerg-nykha) in the village of Paquash (1890)

The Church of St. George (Ayerg-nykha) in the village of Paquash,Ochamchyra district, Eastern Abkhazia.
Photos by Georgy Zakhartsev.
 
The coordinates of the church: 42°48’12.8″ North latitude, 41°34’43.05″ Eastern longitude:
 

 

read more......


Church of Transfiguration in Mikhailovskoe cemetery.

 
The exact date of the Church construction is unknown.
 
Probably the Church Of Transfiguration existed in the village of Mikhailovka (Guma) in the beginning of XXth century.
 
However, nobody knows where the church was precisely located. It is possible that…

read more......


Church of St. George in the village of Ankhua

Supposedly the church was built in the XIth century. There is one hall with an apse in the church . Nowadays the foundation of the church has remained with the socle of the wall, as well as the Holy…

read more......


Сhurch of Archangel Michael in Duripsh (XIX-XX c.)

On behalf of Community of the Orthodox Christianity in the Caucasus,” the Bishop of Imereti Gabriel (picture №1) went to Abkhazia to review the Orthodox parishes (religious communities) in 1868.
 
On May 17 he visited the village of Duripsh….

read more......


Church of Resurrection of Jesus Christ in Achandara (1869)

The wooden church of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ was built in the village of Achandara (Abkhazia, Gudauta district) in 1869. The church was a part of the Abkhazian…

read more......


Church of Intercession of Holy Virgin in New Athos (1876)

On 1876 the monks from Mount Athos (Greece) arrived in Abkhazia. They built a temple in New Athos. It was their first temple in honor of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin. The construction of the temple was over…

read more......


Page