Orthodoxy in Abkhazia

Abkhazia is among the first countries where Christianity was spread. In the 1st century A.D. Saint Andrew, Simon the Canaanite and Apostle Matthew arrived in Abkhazia to preach Christianity. It was over two thousand years that Christianity faced many enemies. The followers of Christianity were persecuted in the days of the Roman Empire, Ottoman Empire and Soviet Union. However, the only religion which survived in the Caucasus was Christianity. The first church community was created in Pitiunt in the 4th century A.D. (modern-day Pitsunda). The most ancient Christian churches are located in Pitsunda. On the territory of Abkhazia there are temples which never interrupted worship, even in the most difficult of times. One such temple is located in the village of Ilor. The worship was served even during the Soviet Period. The temple at Ilor is one of the most popular temples visiting by tourists among the current churches in Abkhazia. In the village of Likhny, there is also a temple of Saint Mary. It is the only temple on the Black Sea coast of the Caucasus which was able to preserve its original appearance. The roof of the temple was made of tile. Such sacred places like the Cathedral of the Saint and Apostle Andrew in Pitsunda, the temple of Saint Mary in Mokva and the cathedral of St. Panteleimon in New Athos, are all examples of Christian architecture in Abkhazia. Valuable relics and monuments were kept in many temples. There’s an ancient golden bowl dated back to 990 in the Bedia temple. It’s decorated with figures of the Savior, Saint Mary and the Apostles. In the 19th century, the monastery was built in New Athos. It’s famous not only in Abkhazia, but also far beyond its borders. One hundred and sixty temples were built in Abkhazia. Nowadays, parishioners can attend 16 current temples. The history of Christian monuments, temples, cathedrals, monasteries and descriptions of the lives of the Saints can be found on our website. Articles, illustrated with pictures, written on the base of the Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia.


Prayer of St. Ephrem the Syrian in the Abkhazian language

Ацқьа Ефрем Сир иныҳәаԥхьыӡ

Сыҧсҭазаара Зымпыҵаку, с-Аҳ Ду! Усда атәареи, агәаҭеиреи, амчра абзиабареи, баша ацәажәареи рыҧсы сылаумҵан сара. (Ҳалахь-ҳаџьымшь ӡатәны, ҳҩшьамхык арсны,…

read more......


Troparion and Kontakion devoted to the great martyr Theodore Tyron in the Abkhazian language

Ацқьа ааӡаб ду Ҭео́дор (иркьаҿ. Аиҭа́р) итропа́рион (аушьҭыгатә), 2-тәи абжьы

хаҵара́ алшарақәа дуӡӡоуп! / Амца қьоуқьад дахьалоу, / иԥсыршьагоу аӡы дҭоушәа, / дгәырӷьон ацқьа ааӡаб Ҭео́дор: /…

read more......


Troparion and irmos of the 1st song of the canon of the Nativity of Christ in the Abkhazian language

Қьырса Иира аушьҭыгатә тропа́рион , 4-тәи абжьы

Уара Уира, Қьырса ҳ-Анцәа, / адунеи дырра лашараны иазкаԥхеит, / избанзар уи ала аиаҵәақәа рымаҵ зуаз / аиаҵәа аҟынтә…

read more......


Troparion devoted to St. Apostle Simon the Canaanite in the Abkhazian language

Ацқьа цҳаражәҳәаҩ Симон Кананит итропа́рион (аушьҭыгатә), 4-тәи абжьы

Убзарӡы ҳҳәоит, / дунеи гәнаҳа зегьы згәыҵакны аџьар ианыԥсылаз, / ԥсрала аԥсра аԥызхыз, / Зхьышьаргәыҵа ҳакәыхшоу, Иаса Қьырса, / ихьӡ…

read more......


Ruins of the lower church in Anakopya fortress

Located on the slope of the Anakopya Mountain between the walls of the citadel and the 2nd defensive wall of the Anakopya Fortress, it was investigated by famous Abkhazian archaeologist Mikhail Trapsh in 1957-1958.

This is a small church with…

read more......


The ruins of two medieval churches in the village of Bzhylua, Ankhua, Gudauta district


Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar). Temple on Mount Aquy (Ақәи-ныха) in the village of Ankhua

THE TEMPLE ON THE MOUNTAIN OF AQUY (АҚӘИ-НЫХА) IN ANKHUA VILLAGE

 Location

Mount Aquy (abh. Ақәи/Ақәҩы, later named Mount Athos) and the village with the same name Aquy are located above…

read more......


Сборник последований молений: моление святому Евстафию

Sorry, this entry is only available in Russian.

Вашему вниманию впервые предлагается текст описания и порядка последования моления святому Евстафию Апсильскому согласно абхазской народной христианской традиции….

read more......


Aquy-nykha


On 24 September, 2018, an expedition consisting of Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar), Ruslan Pandaria, Alkhas Argun and Mark Trapsh visited the top of Mount Aquy (Mount Athos), located at an altitude of…

read more......


Skete of St. John the Baptist in Ankhua (1905)

Skete of St. John the Baptist is located in the center of the village of Ankhua (Gudauta district, Abkhazia), 7 km. from New Athos. During the medieval Abkhazian kingdom the village of Ankhua was part of the ancient capital…

read more......


Troparion and Kontakion of Candlemas in Abkhaz

Аиԥылара аушьҭыгатә тропа́рион, 1-тәи абжьы

Бгәырӷьала, лыԥхазмоу / Нцәадзыхшаз Аҭыԥҳа́: / избанзар Бара была игылеит / аиашара Амра…

read more......


Troparion and kontakion of the holy apostles Peter and Paul in Abkhaz

Ацқьа цҳаражәҳәаҩцәа Пе́троси Па́улоси рытропа́рион (аушьҭыгатә), 4-тәи абжьы

Апостолцәа рыбжьара аԥхьатәи атәарҭаҳаракқәа нызкылои / адгьылзегьы (икуме́на) арҵаҩцәеи, / зегьы Зымпыҵаку (Деспотис) цҳаражәҳәара ҳзизыжәу (шәиҳәа), / адгьылзегьы (икуме́на)…

read more......


Page