On February 24, 2023, a meeting of HMA Council was held. The meeting was attended by 1) Chairman of the HMA Council, Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar); 2) Abbot of the New Athos Monastery, Hierodeacon David (Sarsaniya); 3) Acting Secretary of the HMA Council Dionysus Yalanchidi; 4) Ruslan Pandaria; 5) Miron Chalmaz; 6) Mark Trapsh; 7) Akhra Argun. Absent: 1) Secretary of the HMA Council Germain Marchand; 2) Alkhas Tkhagushev; 3) Timur Dzidzaria; 4) Arda Ashuba.
At the beginning of the meeting, at the suggestion of Fr. David (Sarsaniya), the duties of Secretary of the HMA Council due to the absence of Germain Marchand were entrusted to Dionysus Yalanchidi. In the first part of the meeting, final reports on the life and activities of the hMA for 2022 were presented.
1. Report of the chairman of the HMA Council, Archimandrite Dorotheos (Dbar) on the life and activities of the HMA for 2022;
2. Report on the life and activities of the monastery of St. Apostle Simon the Canaanite of HMA for 2022 made by Hierodeacon David (Sarsaniya);
3. Dionysus Yalanchidi spoke about the trip to the Diocesan Administration of the Maikop and Adyghe Diocese.;
4. Report on the activities of the Department of Social Service and Charity of the New Athos Monastery of HMA for 2022 made by Dionysus Yalanchidi;
5. Financial report of the chief accountant of the HMA V. Tskuya on the income and expenses of the HMA for 2022
In the second part of the meeting, the issue of convening the III Church-People’s Assembly in 2023 was discussed. The convening of this meeting has been postponed over the past two years due to quarantine measures caused by the coronavirus pandemic. May 28, 2023 was determined as the date of the III Church-People’s Assembly.
Since the convening of the 1st Church-People’s Assembly, a flock of the HMA has been formed. These are citizens of the Republic of Abkhazia who regularly practice church life. The main participants of the 2nd Church-People’s Assembly were the parishioners of the HMA.
The goals of the 3rd Church-People’s Assembly will be:
1. Report of the leadership of the Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia to the flock about life and activities since the 2nd Church and People’s Assembly, held on May 15, 2016.
2. Election of the governing body – the Chairman and members of the Council of the Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia.
The Council of the Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia also made a decision that citizens of the Republic of Abkhazia who regularly practice church life among the flock of the Holy Metropolis of Abkhazia would participate in the III-rd Church and People’s Assembly.
On the initiative of Ruslan Pandaria, the issue of transferring the grave of the poet, a volunteer in the Patriotic War of the people of Abkhazia in 1992-1993, Alexander Bardodym from the current burial place in the city park to the territory of the memorial burial place near the New Athos Monastery, was discussed. The reason for this initiative was the construction of a hotel in the vicinity of the burial place. The proposal did not find support due to the lack of sufficient grounds for transferring the grave.
The Council of the Holy Metropolis decided to congratulate Stanislav Lakoba – historian, writer, public and political figure, professor of the ASU, on his 70th birthday. Stanislav Lakoba was a member of the HMA Council of the 1st convocation.